Banana, Chocolate and Oat Muffins
I love cooking with oats, banana and chocolate. These muffins are low in fat too, just great!
Ingredients makes ~16 muffins
- 25 ml vegetable oil
- 2 bananas, coarsely mashed
- 1 large egg
- 250 ml milk
- 300 g self-raising white flour
- 100 g rolled oats (plus for more for topping)
- 150 g caster sugar or soft light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 50 g dark chocolate finely chopped
1. Heat the oven to 180ºC (fan assisted), I guess a little hotter if not.
2. Beat the egg and mix all the wet ingredients together.
3. Sift the flour, sugar, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl. Add the oats.
4. Fold in the wet ingredients, mashed banana and chocolate chips. Minimal mixing to preserve air.
5. Spoon the mixture into muffin cases, filling them about two-thirds full. Sprinkle some oats on the top.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the muffins have risen and are lightly browned.
In my experience muffin recipes are fairly forgiving. I’ve pretty much made this one up. The banana and chocolate could certainly be replaced with other interesting fruit or some wholemeal flour could be used.